Camilla Bowles to be our Queen?
dechucka
2005-03-21 22:31:02 UTC
A pommy backbencher has pointed out that under British law CB will become
Queen of England even though she has said she will only be the Duchess of
Cornwell. Interestingly the MP pointed out that in the 17 countries were the
British monarch is the Head of State laws and/or constitutions will need to
be changed if CB is not to become their Queen.

Australia's Head of State is the British monarch so it seems we will have CB
as our Queen
H Dickmann
I thought Jeanette Howard was our Queen.
Arfur Moo
2005-03-22 04:28:17 UTC
Post by H Dickmann
Post by dechucka
A pommy backbencher has pointed out that under British law CB will become
Queen of England even though she has said she will only be the Duchess of
Cornwell. Interestingly the MP pointed out that in the 17 countries were
the British monarch is the Head of State laws and/or constitutions will
need to be changed if CB is not to become their Queen.
Australia's Head of State is the British monarch so it seems we will have
CB as our Queen
I thought Jeanette Howard was our Queen.
Who is Jeanette Howard?
Arfur Moo
Axel VK
2005-03-22 08:03:47 UTC
Post by H Dickmann
Post by dechucka
A pommy backbencher has pointed out that under British law CB will become
Queen of England even though she has said she will only be the Duchess of
Cornwell. Interestingly the MP pointed out that in the 17 countries were
the British monarch is the Head of State laws and/or constitutions will
need to be changed if CB is not to become their Queen.
Australia's Head of State is the British monarch so it seems we will have
CB as our Queen
I thought Jeanette Howard was our Queen.
She is. I will never recognise someone in boring backward old england as our
head of state. Nom atter what anyone says.
Persifor
it used to be Billy Macmahon, now it is Kirby
Arfur Moo
2005-03-22 04:23:40 UTC
Post by dechucka
A pommy backbencher has pointed out that under British law CB will become
Queen of England even though she has said she will only be the Duchess of
Cornwell. Interestingly the MP pointed out that in the 17 countries were the
British monarch is the Head of State laws and/or constitutions will need to
be changed if CB is not to become their Queen.
Australia's Head of State is the British monarch so it seems we will have CB
as our Queen
A news story on a page at <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4369217.stm>
dated "Monday, 21 March, 2005, 19:04 GMT" begins thus:

=======================

"Camilla 'will be Charles's queen' "

A Labour MP has accused the Prince of Wales of being "less than frank
with the country" over his marriage to Camilla Parker Bowles.

His comments follow confirmation from the Department for Constitutional
Affairs that she would become Queen when Charles succeeds to the throne.

Charles previously announced Camilla would be Princess Consort, not Queen."

=======================

Of course, that's only if Charles becomes king. So the story should say not
"when" but words to the effect of "if and when".

If Charles does become king then his eventual epitaph may well include these
words:

His succession was successful, but the monarchy died.
Arfur Moo
Mil80C
2005-03-22 04:56:56 UTC
Post by dechucka
A pommy backbencher has pointed out that under British law CB will become
Queen of England even though she has said she will only be the Duchess of
Cornwell. Interestingly the MP pointed out that in the 17 countries were
the British monarch is the Head of State laws and/or constitutions will
need to be changed if CB is not to become their Queen.
Australia's Head of State is the British monarch so it seems we will have
CB as our Queen
Ah fuck, here we go again, this has been done to death previously but this
WANKER obviously can't understand english.

IF Prince Charles becomes King, then HE, not Camilla, is the head of state,
he is the monarch OK? Do pay attention chucka old mate.
Leo Cadle
dechucka
and Camilla will be our Queen
Mil80C
2005-03-23 06:34:47 UTC
Post by dechucka
Post by Mil80C
Post by dechucka
A pommy backbencher has pointed out that under British law CB will become
Queen of England even though she has said she will only be the Duchess of
Cornwell. Interestingly the MP pointed out that in the 17 countries were
the British monarch is the Head of State laws and/or constitutions will
need to be changed if CB is not to become their Queen.
Australia's Head of State is the British monarch so it seems we will
have CB as our Queen
Ah fuck, here we go again, this has been done to death previously but
this WANKER obviously can't understand english.
IF Prince Charles becomes King, then HE, not Camilla, is the head of
state, he is the monarch OK? Do pay attention chucka old mate.
and Camilla will be our Queen
OK, its now official, dechucka is mentall retarded and is unable to
understand even a basic concept. He will forever be convinced that Camilla
will be Queen of Australia. I for one will now ignore him, suggest the rest
of you do likewise.
dechucka
2005-03-23 21:34:30 UTC
Post by Mil80C
Post by dechucka
Post by Mil80C
Post by dechucka
[...]
she will be our Queen as she will be married to our King, constitutionally
she will obvoiously play no role.
William Walker
2005-03-22 08:44:34 UTC
Post by dechucka
A pommy backbencher has pointed out that under British law CB will become
Queen of England even though she has said she will only be the Duchess of
Cornwell. Interestingly the MP pointed out that in the 17 countries were
the British monarch is the Head of State laws and/or constitutions will
need to be changed if CB is not to become their Queen.
Australia's Head of State is the British monarch so it seems we will have
CB as our Queen
I don't care who is or will be the Queen, I am happy for the Queen of
England to be my Head of State. I do NOT want a bar of Australia ever
becoming a republic at all. Leave it as it is.

William Walker
Big Smurf
2005-03-22 12:43:36 UTC
Post by dechucka
A pommy backbencher has pointed out that under British law CB will become
Queen of England even though she has said she will only be the Duchess of
Cornwell. Interestingly the MP pointed out that in the 17 countries were the
British monarch is the Head of State laws and/or constitutions will need to
be changed if CB is not to become their Queen.
Australia's Head of State is the British monarch so it seems we will have CB
as our Queen
No, it won't happen.

We'll turn into republic before Camilla becomes whatever she becomes
when current queen gets off (in 2026)
Boy Blue
2005-03-22 13:39:25 UTC
In article <***@individual.net>, Big Smurf
<***@hotmail.com> wrote:

No, it won't happen.
Camilla could be just the card the Republicans have been waiting for?
Denz
2005-03-23 06:18:37 UTC
Post by Big Smurf
No, it won't happen.
Post by Big Smurf
We'll turn into republic before Camilla becomes whatever she becomes
when current queen gets off (in 2026)
Camilla could be just the card the Republicans have been waiting for?
There is no way Howard would dare hold a republic referendum anytime now..
*nobody* would vote for the monarchy (unless it was Denmark's...)
Arfur Moo
2005-03-23 07:48:38 UTC
Post by Denz
Post by Big Smurf
No, it won't happen.
Post by Big Smurf
We'll turn into republic before Camilla becomes whatever she becomes
when current queen gets off (in 2026)
Camilla could be just the card the Republicans have been waiting for?
There is no way Howard would dare hold a republic referendum anytime now..
*nobody* would vote for the monarchy (unless it was Denmark's...)
The sixty-four-dollar question . . .

Complete this sentence:

£££££££££££££££££££££££££

A C _ _ _ _ _ _ and a C _ _ _ _ _ _

are h _ _ _ _ _ designed by a c _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

£££££££££££££££££££££££££

The British monarchy in Australia?

Take it or leave it. That is the question.
Arfur Moo
Jacques Guy
2005-03-23 08:49:43 UTC
Call me Nobody (rather than Ishmael).
Noons
2005-03-23 07:21:10 UTC
Post by Boy Blue
Camilla could be just the card the Republicans have been waiting for?
Dunno. I'm a Republican and I reckon what C&C are doing
requires a lot of guts and determination.

Don't get me wrong: I don't want ANY king or queen.
But Charles has finally assumed the responsibility of his
choices and preferences and gone ahead with something he should have
done decades ago, flipping a finger to her maj in the process.
God bless him for that courage.

Having said that, I'll stay out if this as it obviously
is just an inflamatory thread.
Boy Blue
2005-03-23 12:49:35 UTC
Post by Noons
Post by Boy Blue
Camilla could be just the card the Republicans have been waiting for?
Dunno. I'm a Republican and I reckon what C&C are doing
requires a lot of guts and determination.
Don't get me wrong: I don't want ANY king or queen.
But Charles has finally assumed the responsibility of his
choices and preferences and gone ahead with something he should have
done decades ago, flipping a finger to her maj in the process.
God bless him for that courage.
Having said that, I'll stay out if this as it obviously
is just an inflamatory thread.
I agree with you, incidentally, Noons. Why shouldn't they? But I have
another theory: that Charles doesn't really want to be King. Hell, I
wouldn't - would you? OK it's a hell of a lot of money, but would you
actually get a chance to ENJOY it? This way he's managed to piss off
the Queen and the Public who are still dotty on Lady Dag. If he allows
the crown to skip a generation, it can be one of St. Dag's pink cheeked
little boys. Looks all set.
Persifor
2005-03-23 11:33:53 UTC
Post by Big Smurf
No, it won't happen.
Well, the thought of her as queen would get the Republicans my vote.
Boy Blue
2005-03-24 13:42:55 UTC
Post by Persifor
Post by Big Smurf
No, it won't happen.
Post by Big Smurf
We'll turn into republic before Camilla becomes whatever she becomes
when current queen gets off (in 2026)
Camilla could be just the card the Republicans have been waiting for?
Well, the thought of her as queen would get the Republicans my vote.
QED

dechucka
2005-03-22 22:03:30 UTC
Post by dechucka
A pommy backbencher has pointed out that under British law CB will become
Queen of England even though she has said she will only be the Duchess of
Cornwell. Interestingly the MP pointed out that in the 17 countries were
the British monarch is the Head of State laws and/or constitutions will
need to be changed if CB is not to become their Queen.
Australia's Head of State is the British monarch so it seems we will have
CB as our Queen
]
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200503/s1328652.htm
Camilla 'to be Queen'
By Kirsten Aiken in London and AFP

The British Government has confirmed Camilla Parker-Bowles will become Queen
if Prince Charles succeeds to the throne.

When announcing their intention to wed, Prince Charles said his bride-to-be
would take the title of Princess Consort rather than Queen if he accedes to
the throne.

But in a written statement, Constitutional Affairs Minister Christopher
Leslie has confirmed that the title of Queen will be automatically conferred
upon Mrs Parker Bowles if her husband becomes king.

Legislation would be required in more than a dozen Commonwealth countries,
including Australia, if Mrs Parker Bowles were to be formally denied the
title.

Royal convention decrees that the wife of a king is known as queen, while
husbands of female monarchs - such as Queen Elizabeth's spouse Prince
Philip - do not become king.

Prince Charles's office insists that the centrality of convention means it
is simply "not true" to say Mrs Parker Bowles will eventually be queen.

"Our position has always been that you become queen only by convention, not
by statute, not by law," a spokesman for Clarence House said.

"Our understanding is that the Government agrees with our position," he
said.

"If, however, people feel at that time [when Charles becomes king] that that
position needs to be clarified by law, there is a legal process that happens
whenever we have a new king or queen."

'Absolutely unequivocal'

The Constitutional Affairs Minister's statement followed a written House of
Commons question to the department by Labour Party politician Andrew
Mackinlay, who asked whether the April 8 marriage would be "morganatic".

He was using an arcane term referring to cases in which someone of royal or
noble birth marries someone of lower rank and does not share any titles.

Constitutional Affairs Minister Christopher Leslie gave a simple reply:
"No."

"This is absolutely unequivocal that she automatically becomes queen when he
becomes king," Mr Mackinlay said of the news.

However, the Department of Constitutional Affairs stressed that much of the
argument was academic, given Britain has no formal constitution, just a
series of laws and conventions that have evolved over the centuries.

Department spokeswoman Zoe Campbell says there is no single law stating that
someone with Parker Bowles's future position will be known as queen.

"When you say constitutional and legal norms, a lot of it is down to
convention rather than legislation, which is why she can be referred to as
whatever she likes without having to change the law," Ms Campbell said.

"She can be referred to as the Duchess of Cornwall or Princess Consort
without any change to the law."

There were no moves to change the law to prevent Mrs Parker Bowles from
being queen, Ms Campbell added.