QANTAS to dismiss 6,000 staff, lay off others.
Add Reply
Orthus Cerberus
2020-06-25 00:22:01 UTC
A total of 6,000 of 29,000 staff would be made redundant;

Qantas’ six remaining 747s will be retired immediately, six months
ahead of schedule;

Deferring deliveries of A321neo and 787-9;

Plan to generate up to $1.9 billion from equity raising;

Of those job losses, 1,450 will be non-operational and mainly
corporate; 1,500 from ground operations; 1,050 in cabin crew (with a
further 6,900 on stand down); 630 in engineering; 220 from pilots.

“This crisis has left us no choice but we’re committed to providing
those affected with as much support as we can,” said Joyce.

Good move, but feel sorry for the staff involved, but had to be done.
Last thing we need is another failed airline, along the lines of
Virgin, in Australia.
Fran
2020-06-25 01:05:34 UTC
Post by Orthus Cerberus
A total of 6,000 of 29,000 staff would be made redundant;
Qantas’ six remaining 747s will be retired immediately, six months
ahead of schedule;
Deferring deliveries of A321neo and 787-9;
Plan to generate up to $1.9 billion from equity raising;
Of those job losses, 1,450 will be non-operational and mainly
corporate; 1,500 from ground operations; 1,050 in cabin crew (with a
further 6,900 on stand down); 630 in engineering; 220 from pilots.
“This crisis has left us no choice but we’re committed to providing
those affected with as much support as we can,” said Joyce.
Good move, but feel sorry for the staff involved, but had to be done.
Last thing we need is another failed airline, along the lines of
Virgin, in Australia.
Yes. It's a sad time all round for too many people. Me? Not at all.
Got my garden, got my chooks, got a pantry stuffed full of food, got
money and income.... My only concern at this point in time is that
others aren't as fortunate.
Apollyon
2020-06-25 01:34:01 UTC
Ördög did NOT write that last message!
Please try to block individual net to avoid reading the fake posts.

/snip/
Yes. It's a sad time all round for too many people. Me? Not at all.
Got my garden, got my chooks, got a pantry stuffed full of food, got
money and income.... My only concern at this point in time is that
others aren't as fortunate.
The economy as we have come to know it is now in dire straights. The
problems with the airlines is just a symptom of the inherent weaknesses
of our current sociopolitical and economic system.

As far as public transport go (including airlines) I regard them as
essential service which should be run (or at least strictly controlled)
by the public hand. In a modern society mobility is one of the most
essential part of life, just like communication, like the all public
domain utilities (roads,rail, post, water, power, waste management,
healthcare, communication, education, public databases/libraries/museum,
etc).
It has been show time and time again that private enterprises struggle to
survive running these services without obtaining large public subsidies,
without enjoying politically reduced regulatory oversight on their
operations and the granting of some sort of private monopoly status that
extracts extra profits at a large cost to the community. This situation
becomes specially crass during emergencies and economic recession.
Ördög - the one and only newsgroup Devil
Dechucka
2020-06-25 01:37:44 UTC
Post by Apollyon
Ördög did NOT write that last message!
Please try to block individual net to avoid reading the fake posts.
Apollyon? Definitely had to look that one