Was Islam spread by the sword ? The myth and the reality
Ramabriga
2008-05-23 17:19:54 UTC
Islam spread by the sword ? The myth and the reality
By Sherif Mohammed

Among the most widely believed myths about Islam in the West today is the myth of forcible
conversion to Islam. Many Westerners do believe that Islam is so widespread in the world today
simply because of a "holy campaign of terror" carried out by the early Muslims to convert
non-Muslims to Islam. Non-Muslims were offered the freedom to choose either Islam or death.

In a discussion with a Baptist Minister he said to me that "Muslims tend to kill
non-Muslims and anyone who disagrees with them". In a syndicated column appearing in over 30
papers (on July 23rd, 1994) entitled, "Muslim persecution of Christians increasing" the author
blames many Muslims countries for persecuting Christians then he quotes the Qur'an, "There is
no compulsion in Religion" and ends the quote by rudely writing "Really?".

How to confront such misconceptions? First, there is no need for us to be apologetic. We
Muslims should search for the truth and present it as it is. This is how we have been
instructed by Allah (SWT) "Say: the truth from your Lord and let him who will believe and let
him who will reject."(18:29) Islam is the religion of the Truth. The Qur'an is the book of the
Truth. "We sent down the Qur'an in Truth and in Truth has it descended." (17:105) "Put your
trust in Allah for you are on the path of the manifest Truth."(27:79)

Therefore, we should ask ourselves first, before we are asked by anyone else, what is the
truth? Did Muslims really force others to convert to Islam? Is there any evidence for
consistent forcible conversion throughout the Islamic history? As a matter of fact, there is no
such evidence anywhere in the history of Islam. Many distinguised Western historians have
attested this fact-- foremost among whom is Sir Thomas W. Arnold in his book, "The Preaching of
Islam". Also there is Marshall G. Hodgson in his book, "The Venture of Islam", Albert Hourani
in his book, "A History of the Arab People", Ira Lapidus in his book, "History of Islamic
Societies", L.S. Starorianos in his book, "A Global Hisotry, the Human Heritage" and many
others. In fact, there is substantial evidence to the contrary. We have already seen in a
previous *khutbah* that Muslims were often seen as liberators of the oppressed people everywhere.

The question that remains to be answered is why then so many people have chosen Islam
throughout the more than 1400 years of its history. Islam has penetrated the Middle East, North
Africa, Spain, West Africa, East Africa, Eastern Europe, Asia Minor, the Caucasus, Central
Asia, Afghanistan, India, Western China, and the Malay archipelago. Islam in all these regions
replaced so many other well-established religions: Christianity, Zoroastrianism, Buddhism,
Hinduism, Paganism and animism. What are the reasons behind the triumph of Islam over all these
religions in so many different places at so many different times?

First and foremost, Islam is an amazing blend of simplicity and rationality: a very simple
religion yet very rational at the same time. Professor Hodgson has explained the reasons for
the popularity of Islam as follows: "Muslims made a personal appeal to people's religious
consciousness. On the level of straight argument, they often put forward the populistic
intelligibility of Islam. Muslims commonly ridiculed, in the name of intellectual good sense,
the more mythically convoluted teachings of older traditions. This could seem attractively
straightforward to people dissatisfied with taking things on faith from a learned priest whose
mysteries they could not comprehend. A single Creator, to be worshipped by each person for
himself, on the basis of revelation that had been given to a famous prophet whom millions
already acknolwedged. This was at once intelligible and plausible."

The unambiguous and uncompromising belief in the Unity, the Greatness, the Wisdom of God,
the Creator of the universe, is unparalleled among other religions. The French professor
Edouard Montet said, "The dogma of the unity of God...has always been proclaimed in the Qur'an
with a grandeur, a majesty, an invariable purity and with a note of pure conviction which is
hard to find surpassed outside the pale of Islam. A creed so precise, so stripped of all
theological complexities and so accessible to the ordinary understanding might be expected to
possess and does indeed possess a marvellous power of winning its way into the consciences of men."

Besides its simple and rational creed, Islam offers an impressive set of rituals which
has gained the admiration and, subsequently, the conversion of many non-Muslims. The second
pillar of Islam, **salah**, the prayer, has been described as follows by Sir Arnold, "The
religion of the Muslim is continuously present with him and, in the daily prayer, manifests
itself in a solemn and impressive ritual which cannot leave either the worshipper or the
spectator unaffected." Then Sir Arnold narrated the story of an Egyptian Jew who converted to
Islam at the end of the 13th century mainly because of the sight of the **Juma'a** prayer.
Actually, it is not only in the 13th century that people converted to Islam because of the
prayers; it just happened a few years ago in Ottawa that a non-Muslim Canadian woman converted
to Islam because of **Juma'a** prayers. She used to go to the Ottawa Mosque on Friday and pray
among the sisters for several months. She loved the prayer and eventually she embraced Islam.

In addition to the prayers, the other pillars of Islam, **Zakah**, **Hajj**,**Siyam**,
have always been factors in attracting many hearts to Islam. Up until the present day, one
still meets converts who were impressed by the social justice of Islam brilliantly expressed in
the payment of **Zakah**. The genius of **Hajj** and **Siyam** has always been a determining
factor in the conversion of many people. It is this union of rationalism and ritualism that
explains the power that Islam has exercised over the hearts and minds of so many people. Islam
simply gives the truth, neat and clear in a visible and tangible form. The neatness and clarity
of Islam was presented to human beings in the form of a miraculous book, the Qur'an. The
marvellous power and beauty of the words of the Qur'an have always been a decisive factor in
conversion to Islam. The famous Jewish American convert to Islam, Maryam Jameelah, cited the
Qur'an as the major factor of her conversion. After a deep study of both the Old Testament and
the Qur'an, the contrast between the two scriptures became increasingly evident to her until
she firmly believed that the Qur'an was indeed God's message to the human race.

A conference of Christian missionaries in 1887 was discussing why Islam has almost swept
away Crhistianity from the Middle East. What did Islam offer these people to forsake
Christianity for good? One of the missionaries was insightful enough to say the following:
"Islam brought out the fundamental dogmas of the Unity and Greatness of God, that He is mindful
and Righteous. It proclaimed the responsibility of man, a future life, a Day of Judgement and
stern retribution to fall upon the wicked, and enforced the duties of prayer, alms-giving and
fasting. It replaced monkishness by manliness, it gave hope to the slave, brotherhood to
mankind and recognition to the fundamental facts of human nature."

The formidable rationalism, ritualism and clarity of Islam did not only lead the
Christians of the Middle East to forsake Christianity and embrace Islam in the past. It
continues to do so with Christinas in the West to the presnt day. An Australian-born Christain
who converted to Islam four months ago and who was studying here with us at Queen's wrote in
her story of conversion to Islam, "Christianity continued to be difficult for me. So much
didn't make sense, the trinity, the idea that Jesus was God incarnate, the worship of Mary, the
Saints, or jesus, rather than God. The priests told me to leave reason behind". The she went on
to say, "Could Muhammad really be a messenger? Could the Qur'an be God's word? I kept reading
the Qur'an, it told me that Eve wasn't alone to blame for the fall, that Jesus was a messenger,
that people would question the authenticity of Muhammad's claim to revelation but that if they
tried to write something as wise, consistent and rational they would fail. This seemed true.
Islam asked me to use my intelligence to contemplate God, it encouraged me to seek knowledge."
Then at the end of her sincere search for the truth she prayed to God saying, "Dear God, I
believe in You, I believe in the compelling and majestic words of the Qur'an and I believe in
the prophethood of your messenger Muhammad (SAW)."

Another Muslim sister, from California, who was a practising Christian and an active
member in her nearby Presbyterian church, wrote in her conversion story that despite her active
affiliation with the church, she always had serious questions about the fundamentlas of
Chrsitianity which did not make sense to her. She debated her questions with her friends but
never came up with good answers. The church couldn't give them good answers either, they only
told them to "have faith". All her questions were answered when she took a course about Islam.
Listen to her own words. "This class brought back all of the concerns that I had about
Christianity. As I learned about Islam, all my questions were answered. All of us are not
punished for Adam's original sin. Adam asked God for forgiveness and our merciful, loving God
forgave him. God doesn't require a blood sacrifice in payment for sin. We must sincerely ask
for forgiveness and amend our ways. Jesus wasn't God, he was a prophet like all of the other
prophets. This answered all of my questions about the trinity and the nature of Jesus. I found
a teaching that put everything in its proper perspective and appealed to my heart and my
intellect. It seemed natural. It wasn't confusing. I had been searching and I had found a place
to rest my faith."

My dear brothers and sisters, Islam is so strong and so self-assured that it does not
need to use force to attract others to it. The moral and intellectual superiority of Islam over
all other religions has manifested itself so clearly throughout the history of Islam. Despite
all of the ills of Muslims everywhere, Islam continues to be the fastest growing religion on
earth. Professor Huston Smith of the MIT in his book, "The Religions of Man" says, "In some
areas where Islam and Christianity are competing for converts, Islam is gaining at a rate of 10
to 1."

Ambassador Herman Ellis, in a testimony in front of the committee on Foreign Affirs of the
House of Represntatives of the United States Congress on June 24th, 1985, said, "The Muslim
community of the globe today is in the neighbourhood of one billion. That is an impressive
figure. But what to me is equally impressive is that Islam today is the fastest growing
monotheistic religion. This is something we have to take into account. Something is right about
Islam. It is attracting a good many people."

Yes, something is right about Islam and that's why it has attracted so many people
throughout its 1400 years of history.

Patriot Games
2008-05-25 13:57:05 UTC
Islam spread by the sword?
No. Islam was spread by Muslims raping and buttfucking young boys then
brainwashing them all day:

Video: Loading Image...
Ramabriga
2008-05-25 17:43:00 UTC
Post by Patriot Games
Islam spread by the sword?
No. Islam was spread by Muslims raping and buttfucking young boys then
these are fabrications.
Post by Patriot Games
Video: http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=motraininganixl8.gif
What does Islam say about homosexuality?
From 'Common Questions People Ask About Islam' by Shabir Ally

Islam teaches that homosexual acts are sinful and punishable by God. This teaching comes
not from human beings, but from the Creator of all humans. God tells us in His own words how He
punished the people of Lot for their homosexual behaviour.

The story of prophet Lot, on whom be peace, finds mention in several Qur'anic passages,
especially Chapter 26:160-175 which reads:

"The people of Lut rejected the apostles. Behold, their brother Lut said to them: "Will ye
not fear (God)? "I am to you an apostle worthy of all trust. "So fear God and obey me. "No
reward do I ask of you for it: my reward is only from the lord of the Worlds. "Of all the
creatures in the world, will ye approach males, "And leave those whom God has created for you
to be your mates? Nay, ye are a people transgressing (all limits)!" They said: "If thou desist
not, O Lut! thou wilt assuredly be cast out!"

He said: "I do detest your doings." "O my Lord! deliver me and my family from such things
as they do!" So We delivered him and his family,- all Except an old woman who lingered behind.
But the rest We destroyed utterly. We rained down on them a shower (of brimstone): and evil
was the shower on those who were admonished (but heeded not)! Verily in this is a Sign: but
most of them do not believe. And verily thy Lord is He, the Exalted in Might Most Merciful."

From these passages we learn that God saved Lot and the righteous ones of his family, and
rained on the rest a shower of brimstone, so they were utterly destroyed. This is mentioned in
the Qur'an not only for the sake of information, but mainly to serve as a warning to anyone who
dares to repeat such acts.

Muslim believe that every human action leads to consequences. Good actions entail good
results, and evil actions entail evil consequences. Some of these consequences may not become
known for many years after a certain action. The consequences of some actions will become
manifest only after death when one enters a new, everlasting life.... A common mistake among
humans is that if they don't see any negative consequences for their actions they consider
it harmless. Human experience has taught us that a source of superior knowledge can be of
tremendous benefit to humans.... God, the source of all knowledge, warns us of His punishment
if people perpetrate homosexual acts. Let us pay attention and learn the easy way.

Some will say that a person may be born with homosexual tendencies. We say that everyone
is a free agent. God lays before us two paths and has given us knowledge of where these paths
lead. One is the path to which the devil call us. We must avoid that. One is the path leading
to paradise. We must stick to that one. Everyone experiences evil prompting from time to time.
We must resist those with all our might. If one feels a tendency to do something that God
prohibits, he or she should seek help from a community of loving, caring, believers who would
understand his or her difficulty and help him or her overcome it.

A common ploy of the devil is to convince people that they cannot avoid sin. Then they do
not even try. But God promises that the devil can have no lasting power over those who
sincerely seek God (see Qur'an 15:42)

Finally, our bodies are given to us in trust from God. One should not use his or her body
contrary to the user guide provided by its Maker. Consenting adults also need God's consent.

For further reading on this issue:
http://www.angelfire.com/ak/BaltoMuslims/hom.html
http://www.soundvision.com/parenting/disney.anti-family.shtml
http://www.soundvision.com/parenting/tv.homo.shtml

Patriot Games
2008-05-28 18:10:16 UTC
Post by Ramabriga
Post by Patriot Games
Islam spread by the sword?
No. Islam was spread by Muslims raping and buttfucking young boys then
these are fabrications.
No, they are the Truth.
Post by Ramabriga
What does Islam say about homosexuality?
Muslims LOVE buttfucking young boys. ALL Muslim men are FAGGOTS.

See the video yourself:
http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=motraininganixl8.gif
Sir John Howard
2008-05-27 01:55:00 UTC
pislam spread by the sword?
Yep. Afterwards those boys gave birth to other arselifters.
Fartass Jewad
2008-05-28 04:47:49 UTC
Pisslam was spread by filthy uncircumcised dicks and infected Pussies of
Mooslems and some Arababes
FJ
Post by Sir John Howard
pislam spread by the sword?
kangarooistan
2008-05-26 11:18:30 UTC
Post by Ramabriga
[...]
read more »
There is hard evidence

Simply look at the genetic make up populations of countries before and
after conquest , clearly Islamic countries show the same genetic
groups still exist , but not so where christianity went , like in
Americas and Australia almost total massacred even if the native
peoples converted they were still slaughtered , The simple fact the
there exists many churches and synagogs from many years ago in muslim
countries , but no mosques where christians invaded until a few
hundred years ago , clearly christianity was spread by the sword , not
Islam

its no wonder Islam now grows so fast as the real terrorists are
easily seen now that truth is available to anybody online who really
seeks truth

Nothing can now stop Islam and truth and justice from growing faster
every day

over 100,000 more muslims every day

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_by_country

kangarooistan
Sir John Howard
2008-05-26 14:45:43 UTC
pislam spread by the sword ?
Here's the proof -

http://www.historyofjihad.org
David Johnston
2008-05-26 19:20:39 UTC
Post by Ramabriga
[...]
Not really the same question. The pattern for much of the spread of
Islam was for the arabs to conquer a country. Then once they were in
charge the tax advantages alone would be enough to encourage most
people to convert.
BikeFan
2008-05-26 19:44:56 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Post by Ramabriga
[...]
So why didn't they exterminate all the Jews in the ME?
BikeFan
David Johnston
2008-05-26 21:26:48 UTC
On Mon, 26 May 2008 15:44:56 -0400, BikeFan
Post by BikeFan
Post by David Johnston
Not really the same question. The pattern for much of the spread of
Islam was for the arabs to conquer a country. Then once they were in
charge the tax advantages alone would be enough to encourage most
people to convert.
So why didn't they exterminate all the Jews in the ME?
Your question makes no sense to me. Why would they have wanted to?
They were getting more taxes from Jews and Christians than they were
from Muslims, so exterminating them would have made no sense.
kangarooistan
±¿¢Doug¢¿±
2008-05-28 18:51:07 UTC
Post by BikeFan
Post by David Johnston
Post by Ramabriga
[...]
They TRIED retard. ON THREE different occasions: '48', '67' and '73'.
Is it difficult breathing w/your head up your arse?
Post by BikeFan
BikeFan
Leonard Pulver
2008-05-28 21:30:40 UTC
On 5/28/08 2:51 PM, in article NRh%j.4946$***@nlpi067.nbdc.sbc.com,
"±¿¢Doug¢¿±" <no?***@now.com> wrote:±¿¢Doug¢¿±5/28/08 2:51
PM±¿¢Doug¢¿±no?***@now.comNRh%j.4946$***@nlpi067.nbdc.sbc.com±¿¢Doug¢¿±
±¿¢Doug¢¿± V׈
Post by ±¿¢Doug¢¿±
Post by BikeFan
Post by David Johnston
Post by Ramabriga
[...]
** Actually like the Catholics, Islam found the Jews
convenient dhimmies. They were the bankers
(Islam forbids usury) and doctors and scientists.

--- ---
Islam invention

³Islam is an invention for the purpose of providing
a religious justification for Arab Imperialism.
The Conquest is the reason and explanation for
Islam, not the other way around.²

"the life of Mohammed in Mecca and Medina is a
myth, a "baseless fiction."

€€€ Islamic Historian Mohammad ibn al-Rawandi
http://spiritualsocialjustice.tribe.net
* US *
2008-05-29 11:55:56 UTC
The neocons are the real terrorists.

Ariadne
2008-05-26 19:51:03 UTC
Explain how Yathrib became Medina.
Ariadne
2008-05-26 20:01:44 UTC
Post by Ariadne
Explain how Yathrib became Medina.
MUHAMMAD'S EARLY TERRORIST ACTS

After moving to Medina, Muhammad began to have conflict with the Jews
and pagans in the area. I'll focus on several incidents, not
necessarily in chronological order, that illustrate Muhammad as a
terrorist.

The first terrorist incident involves Muhammad's command to his
followers to "kill any Jew who comes under your power".

From Guillaume, op cit, page 369:

"The apostle said, "Kill any Jew who falls into your power." Thereupon
Muhayyisa b. Masud leapt upon Ibn Sunayna, a Jewish merchant with whom
they had social and business relations, and killed him. Huwayyisa was
not a Muslim at the time though he was the elder brother. When
Muhayyisa killed him Huwayyisa began to beat him, saying, 'You enemy
of God, did you kill him when much of the fat on your belly comes from
his wealth?' Muhayyisa answered, 'Had the one who ordered me to kill
him ordered me to kill you I would have cut your head off.'"
END OF QUOTE

This story is also supported in the Sunan of Abu Dawud, Book 13,
Number 2996:

Narrated Muhayyisah: The Apostle of Allah said: If you gain a victory
over the men of Jews, kill them. So Muhayyisah jumped over Shubaybah,
a man of the Jewish merchants. He had close relations with them. He
then killed him. At that time Huwayyisah (brother of Muhayyisah) had
not embraced Islam. He was older than Muhayyisah. When he killed him,
Huwayyisah beat him and said: O enemy of Allah, I swear by Allah, you
have a good deal of fat in your belly from his property.

END OF QUOTE

http://www.answering-islam.org/Silas/terrorism.htm
±¿¢Doug¢¿±
2008-05-27 06:31:38 UTC
Post by Ariadne
Post by Ariadne
[...]
Thanks for this Ariadne, I've forwarded to this to my ACT for America
chapter officers and more than a few of my friends.
a***@googlemail.com
You've been released Ariadne?
Roedy Green
2008-05-27 19:21:55 UTC
Post by Ramabriga
Among the most widely believed myths about Islam in the West today is the myth of forcible
conversion to Islam.
Even if it were, Christianity was even worse. Consider the Crusades
when Christians murdered every man woman and child who had even lived
NEAR a Muslim. They also tortured Jews in innumerable ways, including
a filthy trick of stealing into their homes and baptising their
children, which was a prelude to taking "Christian" children away from
them.

Our ancestors were almost as sadistic as the American soldiers today
in Iraq who routinely torture every detainee and who douse children in
white phosphorus to create slow unimaginably painful death.

See http://mindprod.com/politics/iraqwarpix.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com
ayatollah obama
2008-05-28 18:22:56 UTC
    Among the most widely believed myths about Islam in the West today is the myth of forcible
conversion to Islam.
Even if it were, Christianity was even worse.  Consider the Crusades
when Christians murdered every man woman and child who had even lived
NEAR a Muslim.  They also tortured Jews in innumerable ways, including
a filthy trick of stealing into their homes and baptising their
children, which was a prelude to taking "Christian" children away from
them.
Our ancestors were almost as sadistic as the American soldiers today
in Iraq who routinely torture every detainee and who douse children in
white phosphorus to create slow unimaginably painful death.
Seehttp://mindprod.com/politics/iraqwarpix.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossaryhttp://mindprod.com
You must've made a.... A in a politically correct version of the
crusades... one ran in a madrasa.

The first crusades set out to retake lands conqured by islam. They
traved east to Edessa and recaptured certain Christian artifacts (The
shroud of turin ring a bell) that were hidden when the muslim hoards
overran them. They then headed south to retake Jerusalem from the
grubby hands of the followers of mo mo the desert rat.

At one time, all of iraq, most of iran, most of saudi arabia, all of
palestine, lebanon, syria, and turkey were Christian lands. Notice the
difference, Christianity was *NOT* spread by the sword.

Get your fucking facts straight, or take another course in the
crusades *NOT* sponsored by the local madrassa.
-------
DemonCraps.... Making the lives of poor people even more miserable!
DemonCraps.... Save a planet, Starve a Nation