Live sheep exports - more ALP hypocrisy
B J Foster
2010-08-06 21:16:19 UTC
In 2007, Kevin Rudd promised:

1. "Higher standards for live export"
http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/51827/20071115-1126/getup.org.au/promisewatch/archives/726.html

2. "End live export trade
...if the public pushed for its end"
http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/51827/20071115-1126/getup.org.au/promisewatch/archives/655.html

3. "Replace live export with frozen meat"
http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/51827/20071115-1126/getup.org.au/promisewatch/archives/423.html

Since 2007, the Labor government has done the following to improve
standards, end the live export trade and replace live exports with
frozen meat:

1. On 31 May 2010, Melissa Parke mp for Fremantle presented a petition
to parliament to end live exports.

The response?

"Order! The member’s time has expired. The document presented by the
member will be forwarded to the Petitions Committee for its
consideration and will be accepted subject to confirmation by the
committee that it conforms with standing orders".
http://www.openaustralia.org/debates/?id=2010-05-31.111.1&s=speaker:10506#g111.2

Labor hypocrites.

=========

The reality is that the Labor hypocrites were just exploiting this issue
in 2007 at election time - to the potential *detriment* of our trade.

The facts:
"...the industry employs 13,000 Australians and contributes $1.8 billion
to the economy.

Australian exporters lead the world in animal welfare standards and
their care of animals during export".

Myths:
http://www.liveexportcare.com.au/GetTheFacts/MythBusting/

What's at stake:
"Value of livestock exports almost A$1 billion in 2009

Overseas demand for high quality Australian livestock delivered its
strongest returns in seven years in 2009, with export earnings reaching
a total of A$996.5 million* and cattle exports to Indonesia at a record
high"
http://www.livecorp.com.au/SingleArticle/10-02-16/livestock_export_volumes.aspx

Whilst Labor big spenders think that a billion dollars is small change,
a billion here and a billion there helps to support our lifestyle.

If the Greens get control of the Senate we may as well live in a cave.
dechucka
2010-08-06 21:36:37 UTC
Post by B J Foster
[...]
Labor is supporting the live sheepp trade with improved condition which is
what they said they would do
B J Foster
2010-08-06 22:53:19 UTC
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
[...]
No thanks to Labor!
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Whilst Labor big spenders think that a billion dollars is small
change, a billion here and a billion there helps to support our
lifestyle.
If the Greens get control of the Senate we may as well live in a cave.
Labor is supporting the live sheepp trade with improved condition which
is what they said they would do
What exactly have they *done*? They talked a lot in 2007 but didn't *do*
very much. But hey, just as well, cos the things they did attempt are
all stuff ups.
dechucka
2010-08-06 23:01:32 UTC
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Whilst Labor big spenders think that a billion dollars is small change,
a billion here and a billion there helps to support our lifestyle.
If the Greens get control of the Senate we may as well live in a cave.
Labor is supporting the live sheepp trade with improved condition which
is what they said they would do
What exactly have they *done*? They talked a lot in 2007 but didn't *do*
very much. But hey, just as well, cos the things they did attempt are all
stuff ups.
I can only talk from personal experience of the live cattle trade ( however
I believe it applies to all exports ) and in the last couple of years the
application of the rules has been tightened quite severely. This occurred
after 2 shipments with a huge number of deaths in 2008 (?).

Not sure what point you are trying to make here.
B J Foster
2010-08-06 23:20:14 UTC
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Whilst Labor big spenders think that a billion dollars is small
change, a billion here and a billion there helps to support our
lifestyle.
If the Greens get control of the Senate we may as well live in a cave.
Labor is supporting the live sheepp trade with improved condition
which is what they said they would do
What exactly have they *done*? They talked a lot in 2007 but didn't
*do* very much. But hey, just as well, cos the things they did attempt
are all stuff ups.
I can only talk from personal experience of the live cattle trade (
however I believe it applies to all exports ) and in the last couple of
years the application of the rules has been tightened quite severely.
This occurred after 2 shipments with a huge number of deaths in 2008 (?).
What application, what rule?

Please be specific.
dechucka
2010-08-07 00:16:15 UTC
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
[...]
I can't. I don't even know what act the live export trade comes under. All I
know is that the inspections on vessels and the vet/RSPCA checks on the
cattle have become stricter in the last couple of years. Is this down to any
political party? IMO no, it has to do with the losses on the ships I
mentioned previously
B J Foster
2010-08-07 00:42:22 UTC
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
[...]
So what has *Labor* done?

Specifically, this is what Kevin Rudd promised:

Which of these has he done?
dechucka
2010-08-07 01:22:13 UTC
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
[...]
Done
Post by B J Foster
2. "End live export trade
...if the public pushed for its end"
http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/51827/20071115-1126/getup.org.au/promisewatch/archives/655.html
no great public outcry about it
Post by B J Foster
3. "Replace live export with frozen meat"
http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/51827/20071115-1126/getup.org.au/promisewatch/archives/423.html
as he is not ending live exports this is irrelevent
Post by B J Foster
Which of these has he done?
I can see from you cites where you are coming from but hey don't believe
everything you read from a party political site
B J Foster
2010-08-07 02:09:25 UTC
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
[...]
What specific legislation has been passed? What specific actions have
been taken?

I can point to actions by NGOs but nothing by Labor.
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
2. "End live export trade
...if the public pushed for its end"
http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/51827/20071115-1126/getup.org.au/promisewatch/archives/655.html
no great public outcry about it
Labor raised the storm in the first place.
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
3. "Replace live export with frozen meat"
http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/51827/20071115-1126/getup.org.au/promisewatch/archives/423.html
as he is not ending live exports this is irrelevent
Nice slide.

Rudd says:
"We will stop doing 'X' and do 'Y' instead"

You say:
"He didn't stop doing 'X' so 'Y' doesn't apply"

I think you're onto something. Maybe this is a central plank of Labor
strategy.

Let's try some variants:
"We didn't spend $1.5b so we didn't have to upgrade the highway"

"We don't know which houses are fire-prone so we don't have to fix any"
dechucka
2010-08-07 03:16:42 UTC
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
3. "Replace live export with frozen meat"
http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/51827/20071115-1126/getup.org.au/promisewatch/archives/423.html
as he is not ending live exports this is irrelevent
Nice slide.
"We will stop doing 'X' and do 'Y' instead"
"He didn't stop doing 'X' so 'Y' doesn't apply"
I think you're onto something. Maybe this is a central plank of Labor
strategy.
"We didn't spend $1.5b so we didn't have to upgrade the highway"
"We don't know which houses are fire-prone so we don't have to fix any"
Sorry thr Rudd Goverement did exactly what they said they would. Try and
think for yourself insatead of getting stuff off a party political site
B J Foster
2010-08-07 04:01:28 UTC
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
3. "Replace live export with frozen meat"
http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/51827/20071115-1126/getup.org.au/promisewatch/archives/423.html
as he is not ending live exports this is irrelevent
Nice slide.
"We will stop doing 'X' and do 'Y' instead"
"He didn't stop doing 'X' so 'Y' doesn't apply"
I think you're onto something. Maybe this is a central plank of Labor
strategy.
"We didn't spend $1.5b so we didn't have to upgrade the highway"
"We don't know which houses are fire-prone so we don't have to fix any"
Sorry thr Rudd Goverement did exactly what they said they would. Try and
think for yourself insatead of getting stuff off a party political site
Which party political site was that?

Actually, I read a news item about Australia's Miss Universe entrant
wearing Ugg boots:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/fashion/3994153/Miss-Universe-Australia-urged-to-dump-Ugg-boots

That led to the PETA site and the live sheep export issue. Then I
recalled how the Labor wannabe-Greens made a big issue out of it in 2007
- so I checked Promisewatch. Sure enough, the Dudd had promised stop the
live sheep exports. The only political site was Getup's Promisewatch -
and that looks increasingly like a front for Labor anyway.
dechucka
The one you are citing from
B J Foster
2010-08-07 12:40:34 UTC
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
Post by dechucka
Post by B J Foster
3. "Replace live export with frozen meat"
http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/51827/20071115-1126/getup.org.au/promisewatch/archives/423.html
as he is not ending live exports this is irrelevent
Nice slide.
"We will stop doing 'X' and do 'Y' instead"
"He didn't stop doing 'X' so 'Y' doesn't apply"
I think you're onto something. Maybe this is a central plank of
Labor strategy.
"We didn't spend $1.5b so we didn't have to upgrade the highway"
"We don't know which houses are fire-prone so we don't have to fix any"
Sorry thr Rudd Goverement did exactly what they said they would. Try
and think for yourself insatead of getting stuff off a party
political site
Which party political site was that?
The one you are citing from
Getup.org is not affiliated with any party.

(Although their bias is becoming obvious)

kangarooistan
2010-08-07 08:08:00 UTC
Liberal party destroyed the meat industry

google mudginberri to see how Howard and his mates destroyed the meat
industry and now the only market left is live export

thats why northern territory beef producers are STUCK with 1980s
cattle prices
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudginberri
Jay Pendarvis, the Manager of Mudginberri Station, was eventually
awarded $1,759,444 damages.[14] In subsequent interviews Pendarvis
claimed he was not anti-union but that he believed the union was mis-
using its power by trying to impose an unworkable award on his
business. Half way through 1985 Pendarvis had second thoughts about
the dispute and the NFF tactics and said: 'It became a power thing:
"We're going to destroy the unions"', but was convinced to remain
committed to the NFF strategy by senior officials of the NFF.[15]

In 1986 it was revealed in Business Review Weekly that the Country
Liberal Party Government of the Northern Territory facilitated loans
to Pendarvis with the proviso that he sue the union for damages.[16].
The union was able to survive financially through levies placed upon
membership, and while the defeat briefly united members, the union was
ultimately weakened as more experienced union officials resigned from
exhaustion, according to union organisers Pat Roughan and Jack O'Toole.
[17]

In 1987, the Katherine abattoir reopened and began operating on a
contract system with about half the previous work force. Union
activists were blacklisted from employment where previously the
abattoir was unionised and working under award conditions. Mudginberri
reportedly shut its doors within two seasons.[18]

Ian McLachlan, who was president of the National Farmers Federation
(NFF) during the dispute and later a minister in the Howard
Government, wrote that Mudginberri "turned the tide" against union
power and "changed the nature of industrial relations in Australia".
John Howard, then leader of the Opposition, urged the creation of many
more Mudginberris. Barrister for Pendarvis and the NFF was Peter
Costello, who was to later co-found the H. R. Nicholls Society, act
for Dollar Sweets in the Dollar Sweets dispute and go on to become the
federal treasurer in the Howard Government and a prominent architect
of the Howard Government Industrial Relations reforms.[19]

By 1998 there were no functioning abattoirs in the Northern Territory.
Dr Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF
2010-08-07 09:53:52 UTC
Post by B J Foster
[...]
Pray they don't then.
--

- KRudd at his finest.

"The Labour Party is corrupt beyond redemption!"
- Labour hasbeen Mark Latham in a moment of honest clarity.

"This is the recession we had to have!"
- Paul Keating explaining why he gave Australia another Labour recession.

"Silly old bugger!"
- Well known ACTU pisspot and sometime Labour prime minister Bob Hawke
responding to a pensioner who dared ask for more.

"By 1990, no child will live in poverty"
- Bob Hawke again, desperate to win another election.

"A billion trees ..."
- Borke, pissed as a newt again.

"Well may we say 'God save the Queen' because nothing will save the governor
general!"
- Egotistical shithead and pompous fuckwit E.G. Whitlam whining about his
appointee for Governor General John Kerr.

"SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU DUMB CUNT!"
- FlangesBum on learning the truth about Labour's economic capabilities.

"I don't care what you fuckers think!"
- KRudd the KRude Rat at his finest again.

"We'll just change it all when we get in."
- Garrett the carrott